Wednesday, April 23, 2014

True Life: I Have a Toddler

It's official. I no longer have a baby. I have a toddler.

I truly hoped that since my parents always said what an angel I was as a child, that I wouldn't have to "pay for my raising" with Charlotte. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

My sweet, feminine, baby girl has somehow transformed into a stinky, dirty, loud, fast creature that I have no idea what to do with. Seriously, I feel like my child is a gremlin. In fact, I tell her at least 10 times a day that I am fairly certain that is what she is.

So here is what life is like lately:

Charlotte's new favorite thing is barking. The funny part is that our dog doesn't even bark and we definitely didn't teach her how to do it. She just began barking at the neighbor's dog one day and never stopped. It was cute/funny at first. But now she sits in the yard and barks at cars. And barks at strangers while we are out. Actually, she growled at a man that tried to talk to her in Wal-Mart the other day. That was fun....

Also, now that she can walk, she has is far more capable of getting into things. And she is strong, so she can lift things easily. Bad combo. Case in point, I caught her eating handfuls of sugar that she apparently got out of the pantry (silently). I don't think I need to tell you that she didn't nap that day...


I anticipated that she would have lots of bumps and bruises once she started walking, but I didn't anticipate how many I would have. As I was laying on the bed today, she dive bombed me like a kamikaze pilot with her forehead and busted my lip open. And this is a regular occurrence. Why did no one tell me how dangerous having children would be?! **This is me giving you your fair warning if you don't have kids yet. **

She also discovered new decibels of her voice. Decibels I did not know existed. It sounds like I have a pterodactyl in my house most of the time. And when she is in time out (which is about 10 times a day), I fear my neighbors are going to call the cops because it sounds like she is DYING. I think I may be experiencing mild hearing loss....

And last, but certainly not least, she has learned to throw fits. Apparently fits are just a natural thing children know how to do because she had never seen a child throw a tantrum before she threw her first. She cried, took three steps, threw herself in the floor, and rolled around until she felt the position was best for getting my attention. I ignore her, but she is persistent! Yesterday she had an on and off again fit for an hour because she was out of Easter candy. She would walk over to her Easter basket. sign "more", I would tell her there was no more, she would throw a fit like I just described, I would ignore it, she would stop, and then we would repeat the process every 5-10 minutes. It was awesome (not).

So to all of you out there who think she is a perfect princess, think again. I would like to hope my sweet angel will make a return in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath! *Sigh.... in the meantime, I will enjoy the many hilarious things she does and try to maintain my sanity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment